Saturday, March 1, 2014

Chad Watson's Unyielding Faith


"My message is, don't turn to pain pills, sleeping pills, or alcohol. Just turn to Christ."
-Chad Watson 



Chad Watson's life was forever changed on January 2014. That night his happy family faced unbelievable tragedy as his beloved wife and eight of their cherished children perished when their home burned to the ground. Mr. Watson and his only remaining child, eleven-year-old Kylie, were flown to Vanderbilt in Nashville with life-threatening burns.

This tragic event occurred less than twenty miles from our home, and for weeks tore at the hearts of everyone who knew them  as well as an entire nation. Home folks and celebrities alike covered Mr. Watson and Kylie, in the days of their loss and fight for their own lives, with prayer and gifts. Both are recovering from their physical wounds, though the emotional pain remains.

Recently, Mr. Watson granted an interview with SurfKY.com. When I read his words to the hurting people of the world, I wanted to get his testimony to those who  might not otherwise hear of this man's unyielding faith. Rather than mess it up with my own inadequacy, I've chosen to let Chad Watson speak through the words he gave reporter, Paul McRee.

Mulenberg County - 2/26/2014

"Sometimes it's hard to keep one thing in mind when you're going through your own  grief...and I have been through a lot. But, the fact is, everyone around me has gone through a lot, too. I wasn't the only one who grieved. I'm not the only one who is hurting. It may be appropriate to say that my pain is more than theirs...or the loss is closer to me than it is to them.

But, the truth is (and this is true of everyone), every one's tragedy is as big as it can be to them...While my tragedy has generated a lot of human interest, and garnered the attention  of a lot of media outlets, the truth is, whatever tragedy a person has to deal with is enormous to that particular person.

God is gracious, it seems to me, in that He prepares us, I have never suffered anything like this. But, He prepared me by having me feast on Christ. He prepared me by thinking about where people should turn in times of loss. He prepared me in being able to console others in time of loss, not even knowing the pain they were going through.He prepared me for my own tragedy through small steps along the way. But, I would say to people who are suffering and who hear my story, that I know their hurt is as great to them as mine is to me.

That's why I can say, with a heart full of assurance, that it's the same God that rules over us both. And they can look to God and He is there to comfort them as He was there to comfort me.

God has a plan for my life...God writes the story of our life, and we have to trust the author. So, while I definitely have hopes for me and Kylie; while I certainly have thoughts about the future, I am completely open to whatever direction God leads me."

When Mr. Watson did get out of the hospital. He was only then told about the many people from around the county, the country and the world who offered assistance to Kylie and him.

"Nikki and I and the children struggled in a way that I won't try to describe.  But we had done it for so long, it became pretty run of the mill for us to have the perception that we're out here, on our own and we're trying to make ends meet. We're not relying on anyone else. That's just the way it was. We had made our life what it was and we were happy to do the best we could with it.

But, when the county and surrounding counties, and the nation...but especially Mulenberg County, demonstrated the show of support that it did, and especially when they honored our family the way they did, I was touched.

Like I said on Sunday, it softened our sorrow. To God be the glory!"

--------------

As I have read, re-read, and now typed these excerpts from that interview, I am increasingly struck by this man's gift of ability to speak humbly yet powerfully to broken hearts--regardless of the cause of that pain. And his words remind me that God truly is sufficient--sufficient for death, grief, pain (physical, emotional, and mental) loss and disease. And I an ashamed of my own lack of faith in the face of an ugly and disablimg disease. I, too, want my life to glorify our God, "Lord, help me in times of discouragement and fear to know that You are sufficient."

No comments:

Post a Comment